Saturday, June 5, 2010

A trip to Chuuk

The day after Roy left for home, I flew down to Weno, Chuuk.  The Pacific Islands University teaching facility is located in Mizpah High School.  I spent Friday - Sunday checking over the teaching facility laptops.  I was very welcomed by the friendly people of Chuuk.  I stayed at the Truk Stop Hotel.  Below is the dive pier complete with rainbow.

On Sunday I attended Logan Memorial Church which is meeting in Mizpah HS while the church building is being rebuilt.
The greatest problem I had with the work I was doing, was that power is only on in 4 hour blocks.  Some time ago, the backup generator for the island broke and they had been using both primary and backup generators for electricity.  Until the backup generator is fixed, it is rolling blackouts of 4 hours on and 4 hours off.  The very inventive people at Mizpah suggested I take the laptops back to the Truk Stop Hotel because they have their own generator.  That worked very well on Saturday and Sunday so that I was able to work on all of the laptops.

These two ladies took me to lunch at one of the resorts where I had the absolute best fish and chips I have ever had.  I am sure the fish were swimming in the Chuuk Lagoon only minutes before they were put in the deep fryer. 
A picture looking out into the lagoon.  Prior to my going to Weno, it had been very dry with dust everywhere.  (It was the dry season).  Prior to my arriving and while I was in Weno, there was a lot of rain.  The drought was over for the moment.
Another picture of the lagoon from the resort.  In this picture there are portions of one of the many Japanese ships sunk in the lagoon during WW II.


At the resort there was a pond with these fish swimming round and round in circles.  It has since occurred to me that maybe this is the source of the fish in my fish and chips.  Or, maybe they are just there to entertain the guests.  I don't know.
This is a beautiful picture of the hill accoss the main road in Weno.  As you can see it was misty and rainy.

This picture shows a slice of the road in Weno.  I had heard stories of the pot holes.  The portion you can see is actually in quite good condition.  There is no need for stop lights or speed limits.  The condition of the road dictates the maximum speed anyone can drive.
I had a great first visit in Chuuk.  It is truly the most remote place I have ever been.  Weno is not really a beautiful town but the nature there is very beautiful and the people I met are very nice and friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment