Sunday, June 6, 2010

Boonie Stopm to Tarzan Falls

A whole group of us hiked to Tarzan Falls.  It is classes as an "intermediate" "stomp" which is my limit.  This is the sign at the beginning of the trail.  Other than a couple of arrows in the jungle that didn't seem to point to the trail, the trail was marked in the usual manner -- plastic strips tied to branches.
There was a little rain that morning so the trail was a bit damp as we started out.  This caused mud to adhere to our shoes and we kept getting taller and taller.  By the time we returned, everything was as dry as if it never rained at all.  Here is a hiker trying to get shorter by removing some sticky muck from her shoes.  It didn't help much.
Here we are at the top of the falls.  Anne Stinnette wasn't sure there would be any water because it has been so dry but there is some!

That is muck I stepped in.  It was a boggy spot and my right leg sank to my knee.  I had mud on my shorts!  Both shoes are studies in muck.  I washed it off below the falls where there is swimming.  Anne asked me "Is your shoe still on your foot?"  It was but this was not a silly question.  I stepped in a bog up to my knee in Connecticut one time while picking elderberries.  My foot came out that time shoeless.  I reached down the hole and found my shoe, pulled it out with a slurp, tossed it up on the road and went barefoot while I finished my quest to pick elderberries.

This time, when I got home, the sneakers were still brown -- they are supposed to be black.  It may be permanent.

Water falling down the cliff.  I though the rock strata very interesting and beautiful.


Relaxing before the climb back to the top.


For me, climbing up is always easier than the climb down.  I think it took about half the time to get to the top including rests times at frequent intervals.  Naturally, the young folks with us were lounging around waiting for the us old folks to get to the top.

1 comment: