Thursday, July 23, 2009

Guam Liberation Day

Tuesday, July 21, was Liberation Day. This island wide holiday commemorated the 65th anniversary of the beginning of the US invasion of Guam to take it back from the Japanese who occupied Guam a couple of days after Pearl Harbor.

There was a parade and fireworks.

The parade was about a mile long and took place on Marine Corps Drive (the Guam "main drag"). I drove down to the Agana Shopping Center which is quite a hike down to Marine Corps Drive. So I brought my bike and an umbrella. I used the bike as a chair and the umbrella as shade. I rode and walked down to Marine Crops Drive and arrived just as the beginning of the parade reached my location.

The crowd was large and the BBQ's were working overtime. I stayed for an hour or two and got some pictures and then went home to watch the rest on TV which was broadcast on the local PBS station.

This year's theme was "We are Guam". Here is the color guard.

It was really a beautiful day and I don't think it rained at all. The umbrellas are for the sun - not rain. I slathered on spf 50 before driving down to the parade area. The float is for the Guam Air National Guard.I think we had some air cover -- a reminder of the large military presence on Guam. It seems every branch of the military marched in the parade. The sky is beautiful also.
In the evening I went to Bayview Baptist Church to view the fireworks. No one seemed to know exactly where they would be set off. Most thought it would be to the North in Tumon Bay but it actually took place to the South at Chamaro Village. The picture below shows the view in that direction. What an awsome world God has created.
I still havn't figured out how to use my camera at night. These are the best of my tries to take pictures of the fireworks. It was a very nice display.

No comments:

Post a Comment