Saturday, August 22, 2009

Moldy Trunks and Torrential Rain

I went looking for something and, for the first time in weeks, I opened my antique wood travel trunk and almost fell over. Mold had struck and it stank. Pretty soon my whole house stank. I had been told things closed up would mold but everything else seems to be open air enough that I have not had a problem except for this one place that I didn't know about.

I emptied it out, tossed a lot of it and wiped everything else down with 2% bleach. I then washed the interior with 2% bleach.It has dried out now, and I put baking soda in bowls to try to get rid of any odor and the top is propped up a bit to let air in.

I can still smell it.

At 5:30 I decided it was time for a bike ride. It wasn't actively raining. Before I got out of the parking lot it was raining. If I went home at the first drop, I wouldn't get much riding done in the summer, so I kept on. I thought I had already experienced as wet as I could get while bike riding.

I was wrong.

I finally came home not because I was wet but because the streets were getting flooded. There was water running everywhere. I went through a puddle that was at least up to my axles. Good thing I wear saddles in the summer for riding. Sneakers take days to dry and also will hold lake Michigan squishing back and forth as one rides.

I have not gotten so wet that I had to wring out my clothes before hanging them up. This time I did. I made a big puddle in the tub. They are now hanging up to dry. when Brad and Cheryl Boydston left Guam they gave me a wood folding drying rack. It has been much used.

No comments:

Post a Comment